Learn how to

8/15/11

Art of the Chicken Coop Review



Art of the Chicken Coop by Chris Gleason

Keeping a small flock of backyard chickens is becoming more and more popular.

In Art of the Chicken Coop there are easy to follow construction plans for seven different coops, four of them for flocks of six chickens or less. The perfect size for a backyard flock. One coop is a space saver, only using 2 ½ x 3 feet of space! Each coop includes a complete supply list and lots of pictures!

If you will be keeping over six, up to fifteen, three of the coop designs will accommodate such a flock. The author also includes instructions on how to increase the size of any of the coops in the book.

What I really liked was the use of salvaged materials. Both my coops used salvaged materials. I’m sure my new coop will be no different.

There are also 3 profiles of chicken keepers who offer some great advice and tips, a whole chapter on building coop runs, advice on everything you’ll need in your coop, a characteristic chart of popular backyard breeds (with each breed pictured), and egg recipes.

From beginner to veteran this book has great information for anyone!

7 comments:

  1. My friend and neighbor, down the street, has a chicken coop and 6 chickens in her back yard. Shhh, it's a secret. She's really not allowed. I can't wait to have a bigger yard because we will have some chickens. m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seven years ago I kept baby chickens in my garage. Thank goodness by the time we could move to the country it was time to let them out! I had to hide them when we were showing our house to be sold. It wasn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you planning on doing this? Sounds like a great idea!

    Precious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could have chicken coop. maybe one day.

    Jenny.
    p.s. it won't let me login and post with my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious My husband and I will be building another soon! Can't wait to have chickens again.

    Jenny I think you would love having three or four hens. We really enjoy it.

    Not sure why it won't let none of us sign in!?!?!? Lisa B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this :) You are amazing.

    I also loved the Zucchini post, I made Paula Deen's Zucchini Bread (surprisingly sans butter in the recipe) and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh thanks Nasa. I've been wanting some zucchini bread but havnt wanted to heat up the kitchen just yet. What did you use instead of butter?

    ReplyDelete