Learn how to

3/17/12

Make Your Own Onion Soup Mix

One of my goals has been to quit buying all those packets of mixes and learn to make my own. It saves money and is better for my family and I.

Today I made a jar of Onion Soup Mix. I use onion soup mix when I cook my roasts, for dips and gravies.




ONION SOUP MIX
1/3 cup plu 2 tsp. dry minced onion
8 beef bouillon cubes or 8 tsp.
2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. celery salt or crushed celery seed

This will make 18 tablespoons.
It fit perfectly in my empty bouillon cube jar.
5 Tablespoons of this mix = 1 pre-packaged mix

Mix 5 Tablespoons with 4 cups water for soup.
Mix 5 Tablespoons with 16 ounces of sour cream for dip.
Add 5 Tablespoons to your water when cooking a roast.
Add 5 Tablespoons to your beef stew!

TIP The best thing to remove onion odor from your hands is to rub a stainless steel spoon all over them. It works like magic! :D


Search & Win

2 comments:

  1. I never buy onion soup mix anymore. I do something that ends up a lot like this...I toss a little beef base and a little dehydrated onion into whatever I'm cooking that calls for onion soup. I don't measure, I just do it to taste. I hadn't thought of adding the celery seed/salt; I may try using that, too, next time.

    I have used the stainless steel trick to remove onion odors. They sell a stainless steel "bar" to be used like soap, but I don't see the point when our flatware will do the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie I've seen those bars and thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete