Learn how to

3/25/12

Growing my food storage-$5 a week


This weeks $5 food storage purchase was 5 containers of salt, 2 boxes of quick rice and a package of 5 face masks (not pictured) from Dollar General. The salt was 5 for $2, the masks were 5 for $1 and the rice was $1.65 each. Total was $6.30 this week.

Last week I forgot to post so it's included in pic above. I bought 1 bag of sugar for $1.99 and a package of toilet paper for $2.50, a total of $4.49.

I am over my $5 a week budget by .79 for the last two weeks not including tax.

My 14 year old boy just KNOWS we are going to run out of toilet paper one of these days! He is sooooo paranoid about it. It cracks me up. I'll ask him and hubby "Is there anything we need" before I go shopping and he always says "Do we have enough toilet paper?" hahahaha He would die if I was to put a stack of telephone book pages in there. One of these days I'm going to do it to him. He needs to learn to appreciate some things more that he takes for granted.

The food storage is slowly growing once again. I'll be posting about the face masks on another day.

Did any of you add to your food storage this last week?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! I think that is a good idea to have a goal of spending a certain amount each week for food storage. I canned some beans last week and have more to can this week. I like to can dry beans when things in the garden aren't ready to can. The weather is nice now and not so hot, so the kitchen is pleasant to be in. Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to find a pressure canner at thrift stores. I have found several small pressure cookers but I guess I'm going to have to buy a canner new. I was hoping to buy one this week, and take advantage of fresh green beans on sale but now it's looking pretty bleak with an unexpected expense that has came up.

      Delete
  2. We were eating down our food storage supplies for a while and now I'm trying to stock back up. I like the $5 idea!
    I wonder if my son would ever worry about tp. Your son is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $5 doesnt sound like much, but when you use coupons and try to snag items on sale, it adds up quickly.

      Adorable? Can I send him to you? :P

      Delete
  3. With so many at my house, we've been going through 3 rolls of tp a day. Since we are living on our food storage, running out of toliet paper has been a very real concern! I was able to get a little to buy toliet paper, and it was MUCH more important to me than getting any food! I know that concern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I feel for you! That amount daily is a big expense. Have you thought about supplementing with some cloth wipes? The males in my home won't use them, but I prefer to use them for when I pee. They can be made from old flannel sheets, tshirts, baby receiving blankets not being used any longer and lots of other stuff. If you want more ideas google "family cloths"

      Delete