Learn how to

6/18/12

Garden Fresh Kachumber



I made some garden fresh Kachumber yesterday for my hubby for Father's Day. He loves my Pico de Gallo so I was sure he would like this as well.

He had picked 6 cucumbers fresh from the garden and several small tomatoes. I had some onions drying on the table from our garden and ran out and picked two serrano peppers. The cilanatro and limes came from our local grocery store. I used the lime since I had no lemons on hand.

Here is the original recipe from Chef In You that I changed up a little:

1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1-2 jalapeno chillies (optional, as per taste)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2-1tsp roasted cumin powder (as per taste)
juice of 1 lemon along with zest, as per taste
some cane sugar for sprinkling
salt to taste
few sprigs of cilantro for garnish

I chopped my onion and lime for the juice and zest. I also chopped up about 2 tablespoons of cilantro and added no sugar.

It was very good and spicy! The cumin and cucumber gave it a little different taste from my regular Pico de Gallo.

Don't be afraid to substitute and change things up on your recipes to use your fresh produce from your garden. Hope everyone's gardens are doing great.

Have you tried any new recipes to use your produce from your gardens?


Search & Win

2 comments:

  1. I think we'd love this!

    Have you tried lacto-fermented salsa? I haven't yet, but I plan to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I havn't gotten enough tomatoes to try it yet.

      Delete