Learn how to

3/8/10

Menu Board for Make It For Monday

Meal planning has become a weekly task to help curb over spending for meals. I usually post my weekly menu plan here on my blog but I wanted a Menu chalkboard to let hubby and kiddo {and remind me} know what's for supper.

I looked through catalogs, checked prices at big department stores and found several I liked but nothing exactly what I wanted. I wanted something narrow and long with the days of the week on it.


I found these refrigerator chalkboard menus on etsy but they were sold out. :(


I really liked this one from the Nautical Decor Store, but still not exactly what I wanted. Price tag $42


My Pottery Barn catalog showed this one for $99-$149. OUCH!




So I decided to make one for myself.

I found this at a thrift store on 1/2 price day. It was marked $1.91



I bought me a can of chalkboard paint for $8. Used some of my STAX scrapbook letters and this is what I made:



I also picked up that little duck for a buck. Isnt he cute?

So with today being Menu Plan Monday and Make it For Monday I give you my menu plan for this week on my new Menu chalkboard made by yours truly for less than $10. {and I still have chalkboard paint left over!}



Check out what others are doing on Menu Plan Monday





The Girl Creative

14 comments:

  1. I love it! I remember when I worked at Target - we sold those little ducks there. I always thought they were adorable :)

    My friend lives in a small apartment, and her kitchen is basically in the hallway. Since she does not have a window (or anything, for that matter) over her sink, she took a large board, painted it with chalkboard paint, and hung it up. She just re-decorates it every now & then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is adorable and what a great price!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, You did a wonderful job! I would love to have a chalkboard platter to put on a stand with my daily menu on it. You have inspired me. I'm going to look for one at our local good will. Thanks!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want one too!! I guess I will have to check-out the thrift stores. Chalkboard paint is fun, you will find lots of good uses for the leftover can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming by my blog. Love yours & these menu boards! Jen-SheEndeavors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Better than the expensive versions! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I am inspired, too, to go looking for something to make my own with!

    Stop by Frugal Living Now and say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute, Lisa! What a great idea. I will be curious to hear how you use the rest of the paint.
    Aloha, Tenney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie thank you.

    Sarah I've seen chalkboards used in every room for all kinds of things. They are so fun to make and use.

    Magic Brush Thanks for stopping by. I couldnt beat the price, I love DIY and saving money.

    Yvonne It's great that we are able to inspire each other. Can't wait to see what you create!

    Amy be sure to post your board when you get it done. Can't wait to see it!

    Shannon, Jen, Kimm thank you and thanks for stopping by!

    Holly Be sure to let us see what you do also.

    hitenney Thank you, the wheels are turning on using that paint up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! I have been searching our local thrift stores for something similar. I have seen these all over blogosphere and they are too cute, I must have one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up to my Treasures and Trinkets Thursday! :) So glad you could join the fun. :-D Come back next Thursday to link again.
    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't beat that! Now you've inspired me to head to my local thrift store this morning. :)

    THanks!
    Liz
    Loving This Mom Stuff

    ReplyDelete