Learn how to

2/10/10

Frugal Heart Candy Cane Suckers

I was visiting Amy at The Idea Room and she had made the cutest heart suckers for Valentine's Day out of left over Christmas mini candy canes. You can check out her instructions HERE.

I decided since I had a box of them left over I would make some too. BUT I had no sucker/lollipop sticks! Living in a rural area and not wanting to make a 50 mile round trip to buy any I started racking my brain what I could use instead.

This is what I came up with...



I had a package of bamboo forks and wood skewers. I settled on the skewers cutting each one into 3 pieces. It worked like a charm! I saved the $3 for the sticks and 50 miles of gas.

My boys like milk chocolate so I used some chips I had in the freezer. It didnt take many to make a dozen suckers. I also didnt have any of the nonpareils so I sprinkled mine with red sugar that was leftover from last year.

Then I wrapped them using some valentine heart sandwich baggies I had on hand (bought for $1) and used some red string from my craft stash.

It was a fun morning using only items I had on hand making it a very frugal project. Kiddo immediately asked if he could have one when he came in from school.


3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! You were pretty ingenious making those sticks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! They turned out so cute! Love the milk chocolate! Thanks so much for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to switch out of a blog I was working on for a friend, when I commented above and then google was acting weird and wouldn't let me comment or delete it! I am just getting back to you to let you know that I am really the commentor above!! Love how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete