Learn how to

6/21/10

Garden Update

Garden June 1, 2010



June 21, 2010 What a difference 3 weeks makes!


The tomatoes have outgrown their cages.


The cucumbers are blooming!


The potatoes are growing like weeds. Never grown Yukon golds before, so if anyone has any suggestions, be sure to let me know!


It won't be long before we have some green beans cooking down in the crockpot. I'm also going to try grilling grean beans this year. Last year we tried them fried and they were delish!


In the back there is the pepper bed. They are blooming and have baby peppers. They are jalapeno and one other HOT pepper, it's name escapes me at the moment. We need to replinish the freezer stock for when we smoke cabbage. YUM!


The okra is coming along nicely. It will need to grow 2-3 more feet before it starts putting on blooms.


I planted zuccini and cantaloupe in the same bed. Don't know what I was thinking... I hope they don't cross polinate. The zuccini plant is absolutely huge and full of blooms, both male and female. It won't be long before we'll be picking.

The cantaloupe was sooooooo tiny when hubby bought it. I really didn't think it would make it, but look at it go now. It has a couple runners that have "run" out of their bed. It looks as if it's running towards the cucumbers! lol



And look at this beauty! It won't be long before I can pick. That's my trusty Early girls for you. They have never failed me. Those and Celebrity are my fav's. I couldn't find any celebrities that looked decent this year, so we planted Early girls and the hubby wanted some beefsteaks. Beefsteaks have never done that well for me before. We will see how they do in this type of garden this year.

Let me know what you are harvesting from your garden!

Search & Win

4 comments:

  1. I have harvested about 20 tomatoes, But I started my plants inside way back in early february. I have harvested 3 bell peppers a few beans and peas and about 20 lbs of red potatoes. My watermelon summer squash and cucumber plants are huge with big blooms on them. My lettuce is not doing well I think. My peas and beans are growing like crazy. Last year was my first year and I did horrible so already I feel like I won lol Thanks for the pics of your garden it looks wonderful, Michelle frugalredneck.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice garden!
    Up here in the mountains of PA it is still early in the growing season for those of us w/out hoop houses and cold frames. ;-)
    We do have some teeny tiny maters already and the pole beans are just starting to vine. I got the salad greens in late this yr but we should be eating salads in a about a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the enormously growing potatoes. Can't wait to cook a potato salad for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at your garden with those beautiful veggies growing just shows that you are a very good gardener. I like the way you mulch your garden. Using those hay rather than plastic is economical aside from being organic. Keep it up. You sure have a future in gardening.

    ReplyDelete