Learn how to

4/24/12

Growing Carrots

I do not like weeding carrots. It is a tedious time consuming chore. The carrots are so frail it makes it difficult. So why I planted them in one of my beds that I always have to fight weeds is a good question. Determined to have carrots this year I have been working on getting them weeded and I have finally started to win the battle.


This is how they looked last week. By the time I was done weeding today it was too dark to take another picture. I'm really excited about getting some carrots this year. I planted two different kinds, Scarlet Nantes and Danvers Half Long. These seeds were old seeds that I wasn't even sure if they would germinate. The Danvers were 2010 and Nantes were 2009 seeds bought on clearance for a nickel a pack at the Dollar Tree Store over a year ago!

I wish I had more room to plant a bunch more so I have enough to can. We love carrots, it's one of 3 vegetables we all three will eat. We like to eat them raw as well as cooked. I've read that I can companion plant them with tomatoes and I think I'm going to try it since I'm short on room.

Have any of you interplanted carrots with your tomatoes? If so, how well did it work?


Search & Win

14 comments:

  1. We only have marginal success growing carrots. They grow, but by the time they are big enough, they are already woody. We don't mind too much since they are cheap in the store (even the organic ones are relatively cheap compared to other organic veg).

    I don't think we have planted them with tomatoes, though. Last year we planted them with peas and this year they are in one of those pyramid boxes with lettuces and radishes in some of the other compartments.

    I honestly don't know why we plant them at all. Shane can't eat them raw (he has trouble swallowing them for some reason) and Kat doesn't like them cooked, so they really aren't in high demand for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different varieties that claim to be less prone to becoming woody. I also learned there are sweet and spicy varieties. All carrots are not created equal! lol

      Delete
  2. Your carrots are so big! Mine are just starting to peak through, took over 3 weeks to wake up. I do plant some with tomatoes but not too close to the roots as tomatoes like to spread. I planted this year Purple Dragon, Nantes Scarlet and two others that are slipping my mind at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My carrots planted a week later in the "Kitchen Garden" are not doing near as well as these are. They do not get as much sun though. I want to grow some Parish Market carrots, ever heard of them?

      Delete
    2. Do you mean Paris Market as in round carots? yes, i have them.

      Delete
    3. Jenny yes that is what I mean! :D

      Delete
    4. Yup, got them. I will send them to you today to try.

      Delete
    5. Cool, Thank you so much for sharing!

      Delete
    6. Jenny I recvd them yesterday! Thanks so much for sharing.

      Delete
  3. My first year I tried spring and fall and didn't get much outta them. The next year I tried again and FINALLY figured out that it's worth the time and effort to do a seed mat (paper towel, glue and tweezers) No more thinning for me!

    I did plant in March for a spring crop but was REALLY happy with the crop I sowed last July. I threw a wet towel on them to germinate (it's really hot here) and let them overwinter in the ground. Picked as needed. Never got woody. I think the thing that's suprised me the most is that I've got to plan for a 6 month growth period start to finish. Longer than I would have thought.

    Keep at it. You'll figure out what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do need to try making the seed mats/tape. It probably would save me a lot of time and labor. I've also heard they are great to grow in containers. I have a whiskey barrel planter I think I am going to try growing some in.

      Delete
  4. short on space --plant in flower pots--- time to dig just dump
    them out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that, I just finished reading an article on growing carrots in containers.

      Delete
  5. We planted chantennay carrots last year, and by the time they were supposed to be ready to harvest they were still tiny. We left them, thinking that they would just be tilled under in the spring, but when we went out to do so, they were perfect!

    Never tried planting with tomatoes, as my father in law always grows enough of those to feed an army.

    ReplyDelete