Learn how to

5/31/12

Make A Fermenting Jar and Fermented Carrots

Our first carrot harvest was approximately two pounds. Two pounds of home-grown organic carrots! I've been waiting what seems like forever for them so I could try fermenting them.


I've read a lot on fermenting vegetables and looked at several recipes.

Here is how I made mine:

I ran my jar through the dishwasher, then poured boiling water in the jar and let it overflow, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then dumped this water out.
I washed and sliced my carrots of course and placed them in my jars just to the shoulder of the jar.
I then added 1 tsp of dried dill, 4 garlic cloves (I didnt have any fresh garlic, so I used some hot pickled garlic I had on hand.) and 2 tsp of coarse sea salt. I then filled the jar up with distilled water. From everything I read, you cannot use tap water because the chlorine will kill the fermenting.

Boy wonder made the smaller jar and made his spicy adding a tsp of cayenne.

Then you put the lid on and sit them on the counter for 3-10 days.

After 24 hours, both jars were bubbling! I can't wait to taste them.

ABOUT THE JAR:


I had looked at fermenting crocks and the price was way out of my budget!

I then looked at fermenting jars. The price of them wasn't much better. So I got to looking at the pictures of these jars and decided to make my own. I only needed two things other than the jars, which I already had.

I ordered 3 Piece Plastic Airlock (Sold in sets of 3). Three of them for $5.56, not bad. These let out the gas without letting air in which is supposed to give a closed anaerobic ferment, which helps keep the growth of mold down.


Then I picked up a package of grommets for $2.99 from Westlake Hardware. My total cost was right at $9 and made 3 jars. I have since read that the metal lids probably won't last long, so when they need to be replaced I will use the plastic Ball lids.

I'm hoping to buy some organic green beans at one of the farmers markets and make some dilly beans. I've read that there are many health benefits from probiotic foods, so I'll be having some fun fermenting and adding different veggies to my family's diet.

Have any of you tried fermenting food?

This post is linked up to:







Laura Williams' Musings


Search & Win

19 comments:

  1. I am fermenting foods all the time. In addition to kombucha and kefir (both water and dairy) to drink, I am experimenting with sourdough and I also am fermenting veggies. I just haven't had a chance to write about them yet.

    I decided that until we know if we really like them, I am not going to invest in airlocks. I bought some glass votive candle holders at Target that fit perfectly inside wide-mouth jars and I'm using those as weights to hold the food under the brine. I also add whey to my brine.

    So far, Shane and I have loved everything veg I've fermented, but Kat doesn't like them.

    Hopefully next week I'll be able to write about it all.

    (BTW, plastic Ball lids aren't airtight. If you turn a full jar sideways, the liquid will leak out. At least that's my experience.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie I can't wait to read about your experiences. I also read about the glass candle holder trick.

      Delete
  2. I'm excited about trying this out!! Thanks for posting this, and for the tip on how to make the jars yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will share your experiences on your blog with us.

      Delete
    2. Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog today and every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams' Musings http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. Thank you for inviting me!

      Delete
  3. Only fermenting I've done is sauerkraut. This looks very interesting! Thanks so much for sharing at Rural thursday this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is wanting me to do sauerkraut next. I forgot to get the cabbage today though! :(

      Delete
  4. hi.
    i`m a swedish girl att the age of 35.
    find this blog when i seach the google by "frugal living blog"
    you are added to my linklist!
    /Hug
    www.metrobloggen.se/silverglans
    (translation is yet to come)
    but you can copy and paste at google translation if you want to ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting and another good way to save money and eat just a little better along the way. Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard I'm always trying to learn new ways to save money, eat better and live a simple frugal life.

      Delete
  6. I have a question about making the lid/jar. What size hole do you have to drill in the lid in order to accommodate the air lock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RDG If I remember right it was 3/8" and I bought 3/8" grommets (from Ace hardware). It will depend upon the size of the airlock stem. Mine are tapered, so a couple different sizes of grommets would work. You want the airlock to fit very tightly. Here is a link on the grommet that may help. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Rubber-Grommet-3MPL3?Pid=search

      Delete
  7. I have the same question as RDG. What size hold did you drill? Also, what size grommets did you buy? I've got the same air locks, but I'm not sure how to move forward. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took my airlock in to the hardware store so I could be sure I got a size that would fit tightly. I think I bought 3/8" grommets but with the stem of the airlock being tapered you could use one a little larger. You want everything to fit together very tightly.

      Delete
  8. Similar question to RDG & momma kath... but my question is what size grommets to get. 1/4"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1/4" would be too small. The airlock can be top heavy, so you want a good amount of stem on the airlock to be through the grommet to hold it tightly and steady. I'm sure I used 3/8".

      Delete
  9. Also, how long do you leave the airlock in place?

    ReplyDelete