Learn how to

4/7/09

Make Your Own All Natural Green Household Cleaners


I've received several emails requesting more homemade household cleaners. Here's what I printed off and put in my Household Planner for easy reference. I hope this helps and be sure to leave your favorite homemade cleaner in comments.

All Natural Household Cleaning Solutions
by Sandy Shields

Save time and money by trying these simple household cleaners!

Window Cleaner
Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 quart warm water.

Floor Cleaner
Mix 1 cup vinegar with 2 gallons water.

Glass Coffee Pot Cleaner
Place crushed ice, salt and sliced lemons in pot and swirl till clean.

Furniture polish
Mix 1/4 cup vinegar with 3/4 cup oil (olive, vegetable, lemon).

Brass, Copper, and Pewter Cleaner
Mix equal parts salt and vinegar, then thicken with flour.

General Cleaner
Mix 4 tablespoons baking soda in 1 quart warm water, or use plain baking soda with a wet sponge.

Disinfecting/Deodorizing Cleaner
Mix 1/2 cup Borax in 1 gallon hot water.

Mildew Remover
Mix 3/4 cup chlorine bleach in 1 gallon of cold water.

Telephone Cleaner
Clean with rubbing alcohol.

Eyeglass Cleaner
Mix 8 ounces of ammonia with 32 ounces of rubbing alcohol.

Daily Shower Cleaner
1 cup vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap, and 1/4 cup dishwasher rinse agent.

Oven Cleaner
Baking Soda and Vinegar.

Drain Cleaner
Add 1/2 cup baking soda, then pour one cup of vinegar down drain. Let sit for 20 minutes, then flush with water.

Woodwork Cleaner
Used cold tea for cleaning any kind of woodwork.

Dusting
Re-use dryer sheets for dusting instead of the new Pledge or Swiffer cloths.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Drop denture cleaning tablet into bowl and let sit.

Carpet Deodorizer
Sprinkle baking soda or cornstarch on carpet. Vacuum after 30 minutes.

Aluminum Cleaner
Mix 2 tablespoons cream of tartar with 1 quart hot water.

Tub and Tile Cleaner
Mix 1/4 cup baking soda with 1/2 cup white vinegar.


Try some of these all natural solutions next time you clean. They are made with products that you probably have on hand, and they are safe to use. I hope that they work as well for you as they have for me!

Sandy is a freelance writer and webmaster of TheFrugalShopper.com. She enjoys living the frugal life, saving money, and helping others to do the same. Subscribe to her newsletter to receive more money-saving ideas and frugal tips. Reprint permission granted with this footer included. Copyright © TheFrugalShopper.com 2001.


The above recipes are eco friendly green recipes.

Here is my two favorite homemade cleaners, (previously posted) not necessarily green though. :)

Window cleaner:
1/4 cup Rubbing Alcohol
1/2 cup Vinegar
1 1/4 cups water

Place in a 16 oz spray bottle.
For streak free mirrors and windows, use newspapers to wipe.

AND...
Amy over at Cutting Coupons in KC told me about a recipe for Clorox Anywhere Spray that Michelle from Money Saving Madness had posted. I love this stuff! It’s so easy and CHEAP!

Here’s Michelle’s recipe, and be sure to visit both Amy and Michelle’s blogs. They have wonderful ideas and tips to share.

This product is no secret recipe. It is 99.9% WATER! ~and costs $3.29 or more per bottle. You can make your own with this easy Clorox Anywhere Recipe:
~~~~
22 oz. Empty Spray Bottle
1 1/2 teaspoons bleach
22 oz. of Water
Add bleach and fill with water, shake to mix.
~~~~
It's that easy and you'll save so much money never having to buy this product again!
Amy has several other recipes posted on her blog also, so be sure to visit her and let her know your favorites!

9 comments:

  1. I love making my own cleaners! It really saves a lot of money. I am definitely going to print this list of household cleaners! I have posts on making your own foamy hand soap, foamy dish soap and clorox anywhere spray.

    http://cuttingcouponsinkc.blogspot.com/2009/03/make-your-own-foamy-soap.html

    http://cuttingcouponsinkc.blogspot.com/2009/04/make-your-own-foamy-dish-soap.html

    http://cuttingcouponsinkc.blogspot.com/2009/03/make-your-own-clorox-anywhere-spray.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for typing out all of these recipes and sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the clorox anywhere sounds interesting, I'm headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious hope there is something new for you to try here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I have been using liquid dishwasher detergent on my white porcelain sink. Fill with hot water and soak for 15mins. Last weekend I tried it on my tub, even the rust ring around the drain disappeared, and best part, no scrubbing!!
    Ooty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    I am off to the store to purchase the ingredients and a large bucket with a lid to make Homemade Laundry Soap. My husband thinks that I am nuts!! I told him that he knew that before we got married. LOL I will post about the process and the end result on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great you make your own cleaners. So I wanted to pass on to you a book I found in the library that has been a great resource for me. "Clean Home Clean Planet. How to clean your home for only pennies a day" by Karen Logan. She has tons of recipes for every possible need and the unusual thing about her recipes is that she uses essential oils which both make the cleaners smell nice, but some of the oils also have cleaning and anticeptic qualities (like lemon and tea tree).

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOT Thanks for the tip. I try to keep some on hand when I can get it for pennies or free. Liquid dishwashing soap does clean many things well. That's what the manufacturer suggests to clean the jets on my whirlpool garden tub. My mother always washed our white baseball pants in it too. :)

    Amy Hubbies sometimes dont understand us wifeys, but what he will understand is when it hits his pocket book! :)

    Jenelle I will definitely check the book out. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did it! I made Homemade Laundry Soap. It was so easy. I am letting it thicken overnight and then tomorrow I will try it out on some laundry. Check out my blog for pictures and step by step instructions.
    http://cuttingcouponsinkc.blogspot.com/search/label/Homemade%20Cleaning%20Supplies

    ReplyDelete