Learn how to

4/8/09

Freezing Eggs, Butter, Milk, Sour Cream, Cheese

Just about anything can be frozen. So when you run across those wonderful sales and have a coupon for them, don't be afraid to stock up if you have the room in your freezer.

If I ever have a question if I can freeze a certain something I always check out National Center for Home Food Preservation first. I feel comfortable with trusting this site and their information. Check it out, it will save you tons of money!

Check out my sidebar under food storage labels for previous posts I've done on Freezing Eggs and other things.

Freezing milk has been done by our elders for years. A lot of elderly people shop once a month, buying enough milk for the month. They will then pour into plastic containers just the right size for their use for a week at a time. The whole milk will separate when thawed (always thaw in refrigerator) and must be shook quite a bit once thawed.

Now there are things on the NCFHFP list that says it's not a good idea to freeze or you have to do something to it beforehand such as butter. I dont do anything with my stick butter that I use for baking other than throw it in the freezer. I pull a stick out of the box when needed. It's just fine.

Cream cheese: I also just throw it in the freezer. We only use cream cheese mixed with other stuff for dips and casseroles and once its thawed and stirred, it's just fine.

Shredded Cheese: goes into my freezer just as it is, unopened. Once thawed, it's fine.

Sour Cream: Here's my experiences. If it's mixed in with something and cooked then frozen, it's fine. If you freeze it, thaw it and then use it for baking cookies, cakes, cupcakes... it will be fine after stirring well and adding to the rest of your ingredients. It's not all that good to freeze, thaw and then put on a baked potatoe or used for a cold dip. It's the texture that changes really, not that freezing makes it go bad. I also have had better success with one brand than others. So try freezing just one of your brands and see what you think. There are so many different brands and a lot are just local. So what works for one of us may not for others. Also, one of my favorite tips from Amiyrah at Four Hats is to always store your sour cream and cottage cheese upside down in your refrig. Don't ask me why, but it will last forever (way past exp. date) that way.

Cottage cheese: I have no problems freezing cottage cheese if it's already cooked in a casserole such as lasagna. We don't like cottage cheese frozen, thawed and then consumed alone. The texture changes and I think the taste changes somewhat also.

My main point is this- Freezing will not make anything go bad. It may change textures and sometimes taste. What will be the deciding factor for you is how you plan to consume the frozen item once thawed. If you are ever in doubt, try freezing a just one of whatever, thaw it, and decide for yourself.

Heck, I've even been told a lot of people freeze Crescent rolls right in the can, just throwing them in the freezer. I froze some, but had removed them from the can, still rolled up and dropped them in a freezer bag. When thawed and cooked for a casserole, they tasted fine to us!

Let's hear your experiences with different frozen items. What works/worked for you and your family and what didnt.

3 comments:

  1. I freeze milk often, in the gallon jug, and I usually have to thaw it in the sink (not fridge) to get it to thaw completely and incorporate when I shake it. I'll try freezing it in smaller containers so it will thaw quickly in the fridge.

    I freeze butter all the time, and can't tell a difference, even if it's eaten on a slice of bread.

    I freeze shredded cheese often, too. Sometimes it's a little more crumbly, sometimes not.

    We go through cottage cheese too quickly to have to freeze it, but I have also frozen cream cheese.

    The refrigerator roll dough I've been using accidentally froze in our spare fridge the other day, but it was fine after it came back to room temp.

    I freeze storebought bread and as long as it's not frozen for more than a month, I don't notice any off taste.

    I successfully freeze cooked pasta by giving it a light toss of olive oil and freezing it in ziploc bags separately from any kind of sauce.

    Also, I read somewhere the other day that you can freeze potatoes whole, in their skins, if you prick the skins first. Then toss them in the crockpot frozen and cook on low for 6-8 hours and you'll have baked potatoes. I HAD to try that one. Well, they were edible. They weren't light and fluffy like oven-baked potatoes, but they were better than letting your potatoes go to waste by not freezing them. But I'd rather just make mashed potatoes. They freeze and thaw beautifully for me every time!

    My grandma used to freeze potato chips in their bags. I can't imagine why, though. They practically fly off the pantry shelf here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie lol @ grandma freezing chips. They dont last long enough around here either. I've never heard of freezing whole potatoes either. But then again, I never thought to cook/mash then freeze. That is one I will be doing from now on. Do you still add your butter and/or milk when you mash them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great freezing tips I will have to try. I just got a bigger freezer a few months ago and I am always looking for ways to fill it up. I don't think I will need to freeze milk. My 5 year old son drinks 2 1/2 gallons of milk a week!! I don't know what we will do when he is a teenager! I will let you know about my experience with freezing, especially the eggs. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete