Learn how to

4/5/09

Make your own Homemade Taco Sauce & Seasoning

When making enough burritos and tacos for a family of four or larger it gets expensive to buy everything needed. The meat and cheese alone is expensive.

So to make it more frugal, when I dont have these items stockpiled (from purchases using coupons to get them really cheap or free) I make my own. Making these two things from scratch shaves $4-$5 off the price of this dinner by itself.

Taco Sauce
1 small can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Mix all together and let sit for at least 30 minutes so spices wed.



Taco Seasoning
6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Use 2 heaping tablespoons to equal one commercial packet.

When my oldest son and any of his friends are here for dinner, I will stretch the hamburger by adding 1 cup of cooked minute rice.

Let me know if you have a tip for making burritos and tacos more frugal. Or if you have a taco seasoning or sauce recipe that you would like to share, visit Sandy's place and share it with all of us. Every Sunday she has Share My Recipe Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these recipes. I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    I used your recipe as my Gem of the Week today. You can go to my site and pick up the Gem of the Week Award button and use on your site.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete