Learn how to

11/3/10

Blending your own Pumpkin and Apple Pie Spices, PLUS other substitutions

I love baking in the fall and into winter!

I've been taking an inventory of my spices; checking what needs to be replenished and what needs to be replaced.

But it always seems I find a new recipe to try and there is something I don't have on hand. Some things I use substitutions. But rarely do I buy blended spices. I like to blend my own. Why should I pay someone to blend basic spices I already have on hand?

Here is my favorite substitutions and blended spices.

Allspice (1tsp): 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp ground cloves

Apple Pie Spice (1tsp): 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Baking Powder (1tsp): 1/4 tsp baking soda & 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Buttermilk (1cup): 1 Tbl lemon juice or vinegar and 1 cup MINUS 1 Tbl milk
or 1 cup milk and 1 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
or 1 cup sour cream or yogurt

Brown Sugar Light (1 cup): 1 cup white sugar and 1 Tbl molasses

Brown Sugar Dark (1 cup): 1 cup white sugar and 2 Tbl molasses

Half and Half cream (1 cup): 7/8 cup milk and 3 Tbl butter

Milk evaporated (1 cup): 1 cup light cream

Milk, sweetened condensed (1 can): Heat 1/3 cup and 2 Tbl evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar and 3 Tbl margarine

Nutmeg ground (1 tsp): 1 tsp ground allspice or ground cloves or ground mace

Pumpkin Pie Spice (1tsp): 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp allspice and 1/8 tsp nutmeg

What's your favorite substitution? Do you have a favorite spice blend to share with us?

1 comment:

  1. These are great, thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete