Learn how to

1/17/09

Amish Brown Sugar Pie

I have a pie shell in the freezer that I need to use. I normally don't bake pies and wanted to try something new, fun, simple and frugal. I went to my Amish Cookbook and I do believe I found one that fits the bill. Just look at the list of ingredients. Soooooo simple, everything is on hand! This is the kind of recipe I LOVE! No high dollar, out of the ordinary ingredients. Just normal, everyday pantry supplies.

Tell me what you think. Have you ever tried this pie? Did you like it? I will let you know what my family and I thought about it. I will probably bake it this weekend.


AMISH BROWN SUGAR PIE
1 unbaked 8-inch pie shell
1 c. brown sugar
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
Speck of salt
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 1/2 tbsp. butter
Ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the pie shell, place the brown sugar, flour and
salt. Mix with your fingers.

Pour the evaporated milk over the flour and sugar, but do not stir or mix this in. Dot with butter, and drift cinnamon liberally over all.

Bake for 50 minutes, or until the filling just bubbles up in the middle. The filling will never completely set, but that's the way it's supposed to be.

This pie is better eaten at room temperature. If you refrigerate leftovers, reheat them in the oven before serving.

NOTE: Recipe can be doubled and prepared in a 10-inch pie shell. For that size,
bake 1 hour and 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I have tired this pie and it is delicious! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete