Learn how to

1/25/08

Kids In The Kitchen

Being a working mother of two sons I have always allowed my boys to prepare age appropriate recipes. Now my oldest son is 21 and is not a bad cook at all. I know he wont starve or live on Taco Bell! My youngest son (10 yrs old) has taken much more interest in cooking as his older brother. It was just this past week I taught him how to fix my Baked Ziti and Chili. Come the next time I cook these two things I will see how much he retained. I will let him prepare them while I observe/coach him. He's always under foot when I'm cooking supper and will take over the kitchen if allowed. My husband also has a love for grilling/smoking and he helps his dad all the time. He likes to come up with his own "concoctions" and 95% of the time they are really good.

Tomorow I have a surprise for him. I found an easy recipe for apple turnovers I am going to let him prepare. Here's the recipe:

Apple Pocket Pies
2 Golden Delicious Apples (my store had gala apples on sale, hope they work)
2 Tbs. Sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Flour for dusting
1 can of refrigerated biscuits

1. Heat oven to 350. Peel apples, then grate them into a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Stir half of cinnamon sugar into grated apples.
2. Roll each biscuit to about 5" circle. Spoon apple mixture onto circles. Fold circles over and pinch edges to make half moons. Place on baking sheet.
3. Brush pies with water and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. Bake 20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
Makes 8-10 mini pies.

I'm wondering if you couldnt use applesauce instead of prepared apples. I think I will experiment tomorow and make one with a tablespoon or so of applesauce and see how it turns out. That would make it easier for smaller children, say 5-7 years old.

He will have fun on a cold Saturday afternoon and it will be quality time spent with my son.

Nothing could make a mother prouder than her boys knowing their way around the kitchen other than knowing how to work the washing machine and dryer........
and both my boys know how to do that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment