Learn how to

3/26/09

Recession Buster Blasts #11-Make Your Own Green Window Cleaner


I've had two cleaning jobs in the last 20 years. One was for a company cleaning homes and was for a motel. At both places you use TONS of window cleaner. Both employers had us "maids" mix our own window/mirror cleaner every morning.

Here's the "commercial" formula they both used.

1/4 cup Rubbing Alcohol
1/2 cup Vinegar
1 1/4 cups water

Place in a 16 oz spray bottle.
For streak free mirrors and windows, use newspapers to wipe.

So if commercial places use this to save money, who am I to disagree. I also use it in my home. I like that the smell doesnt bother me like Windex does.

Do you have a tip for streak free windows and mirrors? I would love to hear them.

5 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    I've never heard of that! I have heard of using newspapers thought. Good tip, I'll have to give it a try. The only bad part is that I don't like the smell of vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly Try it and see what you think. The vinegar smell isnt quite as strong, but you can still smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used homemade window cleaner for a few years now and I doubt that I will ever buy Windex again. However, the formula I use DOES smell a lot like the storebought stuff. LOL! It has just a little ammonia in it; that could be what bothers you about using storebought Windex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! This is fabulous! I always use my own recipe but it sure is nice to have another one to try the next time the bottle is empty.

    I have used newpapers for years. They always leave streak free windows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie the smell of ammonia tears me up. My son doesnt handle the fumes well either.

    Precious I love reusing the newspapers instead of paper towels. Saves money and reuses the papers before they are discarded.

    ReplyDelete