Learn how to

3/24/09

Recession Buster Blasts #8-Homemade Ranch Dressing

Here's a recipe I posted January 2008 but thought it was worthy of being included in my Recession Buster Blasts series.

I found it in my grandmother's recipe collection. She had clipped it from a newspaper. The clipping is over 20 years old although if you were to google it, you'll find it all over the internet at several different sites and several different versions. When I have dill I add it but this is the basic version using ingredients most well stocked pantries have on hand. It's a really close version that I've been able to get my son to eat.

Faux Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 Tablespoons onion flakes
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
2 and 1/2 teaspoons paprika
2 and 1/2 teaspoons parsley flakes

Mix and store in a small Ziplock bag.

For recipes calling for a packet of Ranch Dressing: Two Tablespoons = one seasoning packet

To make dressing, combine 1 tablespoon mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk. Blend well. Best if refrigerated for at least an hour before serving.

To make dip, combine 1 tablespoon mix with 1 cup sour cream. Blend well. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving with vegetables.

I'm always leary of trying recipes found at the bigger sites on the internet if there are no reviews. If you have a good recipe for Ranch Dressing, I would like to try it.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this - I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicagolandia The 1 hour of refrigeration is really important to let all the flavors wed. If you can let it chill longer, it's better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this because I was searching for an accompaniment to my potato chips. It's terrific! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete