Learn how to

3/7/09

Italian Square Baked Meatballs

This recipe originally came from my Pillsbury Back To School Cooking cookbook. Of course depending upon what I have on hand is how they are made, but here's the basic recipe. (I'll post a pic later this week when I make them again)

1 egg
1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I use 2 tsp onion powder most of the time)
1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (Progresso is my favorite!)
1/4 cup tomato sauce (I've also used 1/4 cup ketchup or a little tomato paste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 lb lean hamburger
1/2 lb Italian pork sausage (I've used all hamburger when I didnt have sausage and added 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning)

~Preheat oven to 425°F.
~Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil (heavy-duty is best); spray foil with non-stick spray.
~Beat egg in a large bowl, mix in all remaining ingredients. Dump onto foil and shape into an 8 inch square. Cut into 36 squares but do not separate squares. A pizza cutter works great!
~Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center. I like to turn the heat up to broil and brown them. It only takes a couple minutes of CONSTANT watching or you'll burn them. ;)
~Finishing cutting apart meatballs.
~I use these for spaghetti, meatball sandwiches, anything calling for meatballs.This alternative method of shaping and baking is less time consuming and not as messy as the "old" way of hand rolling and pan frying.
~They freeze really well and are great for the once a month cooking lifestyle also.

I'm going to make a couple batches of these this week and use some of them in a recipe I want to try that I found on Saving Everyday. It's her Italian Wedding Soup recipe that sounds yummmmy! If you havnt checked out her blog, now's a good time to do so. You will love it as much as I do, I'm sure!

2 comments: