Learn how to

8/24/10

The ONLY Way To Make Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes



The idea of ice cream cone cupcakes has been around for, uhmmmm, as my kiddo would put it.... decades! lol

I've baked them a few times before for both my sons and it always didn't go as well as the recipe would have you believe it should/would. There are several different methods.

There was the Betty Crocker method (found HERE) that had several problems. Some were top heavy, some of the cones did not "stick" to the batter and had to have the cake "glued" to the cone after baking.

There was the "mini muffin" method, (found here) where you bake mini cupcakes in your mini pan then put the cooked cupcake in a cone, and decorate. When the kids ate them it was a mess! The cupcakes didn't stay in the cone too well.

Then there is the method that has been around for "decades" and Paula Dean likes it. It can be found here. The first time years ago when I baked these and placed them on a cookie sheet, it was disaster with a captial D! Trying to get the filled cupcakes into the oven with out any falling over wasn't easy...BUT after they were in the oven and started baking they have a tendency to fall over also. The cake will bake up until it hits the ridge of the cone then most "tops" fall to one side, causing the cone to fall over.

My attempt at these this past Saturday for my grandson's birthday was the best so far. Leave it to Martha to show us the correct way to do it! lol
Remove center of a 12-inch tube pan and cover pan with a double layer of heavy-duty foil. Use a skewer or paring knife to poke 12 small holes in the foil, 2 1/2 inches apart. Gently place a cone in each hole, pushing it down until only about 1 inch of cone is showing.



I adapted Martha's method to my liking. I covered my 9x13 pan in a DOUBLE layer of foil, used a skewer to poke the holes and stuck my cones in.



I used a Duncan Hines cupcake mix that I had picked up from CVS for FREE using Extra Care Bucks, a tub of Pillsbury frosting that came with sprinkles and Keebler ice cream flat bottomed cones.



Be sure to only fill them up about 3/4 full or they will bake over the cone, make a mess and your cone will not stand up!



Here they are all baked. See how all but one of the tops fell to one side as the cake down in the cone baked and rose?



All frosted and ready for the kiddos! To ice them I used a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off, placed a plastic star tip I saved from a tube of icing a few years ago and piped my soft serve ice cream frosting on top. The kids loved them!



Have you ever made ice cream cone cupcakes? Did they turn out great or did you have a disaster you trashed? Do you have a favorite tip to share when making them? Let me hear them!

Search & Win

8 comments:

  1. As long as this idea has been around, I never had the urge to give it a try. I just never saw the point in doing this over just baking regular cupcakes.

    That said, I can see how "Martha's way" would be the way that works best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i never knew that there is such thing as ice cream flat bottomed cones, that would come really handy for eating icecream and unexpectely you need both hands for a little bit to do something else. what a clever idea. jazevox

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love ice cream cone cakes; I've been making them since I was a teenager. I saw Martha use this method. I've also seen someone (?who?) make "ropes" of tinfoil then placing the cones in muffin tins and weaving the tinfoil ropes through each cone--much more tinfoil than Martha's suggestion. Go Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might you be willing to share your soft serve ice cream frosting recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT idea!! I wanted to make ice cream cone cupcakes but I was worried how to get them in the oven. Now I don't have to worry. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, we love these, and who knows it better then Martha, LOL. I think yours turned out great!
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, looks so delicious!

    have a nice time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ice cream makers to the choose from and after you decide what type is right for the you, it is important that you follow then the instructions and also that you purchase one from a the manufacturer that has been in business for a while and the that has a good reputation like KitchenAid, the Cuisinart and Lello to name a few. Always the check for a warranty and shipping prices before you the make any the purchase.

    ice cream maker

    ReplyDelete