Campfire Apple Cobbler
• 2 cans apple pie filling
• 2 envelopes of apple cinnamon instant oatmeal (opt)
• 1 stick butter
• 1 yellow cake mix
• cinnamon or brown sugar (opt)
• charcoal briquets (opt)
1. Empty pie filling into a cast iron dutch oven (line dutch oven with aluminum pan or heavy duty aluminum foil for easy cleaning).
2. Dump in cake mix, top with oatmeal and dot with butter cubes.
3. Sprinkle cinnamon or brown sugar on top
4. If using a cast iron dutch oven, place pot on top of 6 to 8 charcoal briquets and 6 to 8 on top of lid. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. Be sure to rotate dutch oven and lid to avoid burning.
5. If no cast iron dutch oven is available, use a large pan with a lid over a campfire. Watch it closely to prevent burning.
Blueberry pie filling with blueberry muffin mix
Cherry pie filling with chocolate cake mix
At home in your oven: Bake 350 for 1 hour.
At home in your crockpot: Spray crock sleeve with non stick butter spray. After layering ingredients, top crockpot sleeve with a double layer of paper towels, then place on lid. Cook for 4-6 hours on low.
Another great variation for crockpot is: 1 can cherry pie filling, 2 cans diced pears in their juice, 1 yellow cake mix, 1 pkg Instant Oatmeal (maple & Brown Sugar) This is often called a Cherry Pear Buckle.