Learn how to

3/18/08

What would you do?

Let's play "What would you do?"

I bought a corn beef (on sale for $1.29lb= $4.33) and cooked it yesterday with red potatoes ($1.25) and cabbage ($0.25) for St Patty's day. Boy wonder doesnt like corn beef, therefore it's just my hubby and I that ate it. There was quite a bit left over. Hubby wanted Rueben sandwiches. I had to buy (and here is where the pain sets in) a can of saurkraut ($1.24) and a loaf of Rye bread ($3.04). The ONLY time we eat Rye bread is for rueben sandwiches. So the jest of this is the total bill for the two dinners for two people came to $10.11.

What would you have done different? Would you freeze the bread to get more for your money? How long will the bread keep frozen?

4 comments:

  1. I almost had this issue with DH when we had leftover corned beef. Luckily, he said that he didn't care if I made his sandwich with white bread, because the beef was so good. I knew this was going to be an issue before I even cooked the meat, so I looked for good deals on rye bread and kept the pricing in mind when I asked DH. The bread was on sale for 1.55 at one store so I was planning to eat that cost if he said he needed it. I also bought more than one corned beef brisket so if I would have gotten the bread, I would have used it again for that. I think bread lasts about 3 to 6 months in the freezer, so if you would freeze the bread, i'm sure between now and lets say, June, you could think of something to do with the bread. Rye croutons for a beef soup? Dry it and make a new flavored bread crumb? Just a few ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pricey for a homecooked meal, but still probably cheaper than going out for Reuben sandwiches.

    Shane isn't picky about most things, but sauerkraut and Swiss cheese are two things he doesn't like, so Reuben's would have been off the menu here in favor of corned beef hash made with the leftovers.

    Had I wanted to make Reubens (I love them), I'd have checked the bakery outlet store for the bread Or used white or whole wheat bread from Aldi. And bought generic (Aldi or other) kraut for them.

    Yes, I think the bread you bought will freeze fine for a few months so you can use it for something else.

    (Oh, and come to think of it, the beer bread I made might have been great for Reubens!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bread will freeze for a couple of months with NO problem... I do it all the time. You could freeze the meat, too. You could have sandwiches again next month!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,

    I am just catching up on some of your older posts and enjoying them. Do you have a breadmaker? You could make the rye bread a lot cheaper than buying it. As far as freezing bread, I do it all the time. DH and I would never be able to eat a loaf of bread before it went moldy. I just take out the slices we need daily.

    ReplyDelete